Friday, June 20, 2008

I hoped I was wrong about Barack Obama, but he capitulated on FISA ...

Obama's full statement on the House's spying capitulation (via email).
Barack baby supports the compromise that isn't a compromise. He supports passing legislation that didn't need to be passed. He pretends the legislation is protecting us little people when we know who just got the power they usurped made legal and who gets to get all those law suits thrown out of court. He supports making the crimes of corporations and presidents un-crimes. He supports doing whatever the Bushie baby says because Bushie baby is pres. So when/if he's president, he's all of a sudden going to change?

Say again. What's the reason it's so important to elect a Democrat as president? Because they believe in civil rights, the constitution, the rule of law? Was that it?

How's that working out for you?

Sorry, you had me convinced. But I don't see it any longer. I don't think he'll protect SS. I don't think he'll stop US warmongering. I don't trust him any more than I do Bushie baby. Why should I? Oh, but he's going to put better judges in. Really? What makes you think so?

ADDED:
Obama has obviously calculated that sacrificing the rule of law and the Fourth Amendment is a worthwhile price to pay to bolster his standing a tiny bit in a couple of swing states.
ADDED II:

From EmptyWheel - In case you couldn't parse the three bolded sentences yourself, here's my take on them.

  1. I will make a showy effort in the Senate on Monday to get them to take out immunity. I will lose that effort 32-65. But hey! I can say I tried!
  2. But don't worry, little boys and girls, Inspectors General are an adequate replacement for our third co-equal branch of government!
  3. Nice little bloggers! Aren't you cute! After you demanded accountability we gave you piggy lipstick and fig leaves and told you it was time to move on while we important Senators told you--in polite terms--to fuck off.

No comments: