Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Sigh ...

The more ignorant Americans become --that is US Citizens, not necessarily the citizens of the other countries that comprise the North, South and Central Americas-- the more proud and arrogant we seem. Or perhaps it's the pride and arrogance without anything but military might to back it up. Hitler's Germany, anyone? They lost!

Apparently Arizona --in the wake of John McCain's excruciatingly embarrassing campaign and the continuing journey of the Republican Party into seriously crazy territory-- has become even more Republican. I think that's what this map suggests. In a rational world that could not possibly happen.

Now I get to watch a significant number of my age group --I'm 67-- behave like seriously irrational and not at all mature human beings by shouting down any attempt to provide government mandated health coverage for all because ... well, the because is a little bewildering as it seems at least partly based on some concept that the government should not be ensuring the health care of the populace --after all the insurance companies are quite willing to deny care whenever needed. Just be sure not to suggest that our government sponsored and mandated Medicare for those 65 and over is not put in jeopardy. This latter sentiment I wholeheartedly agree with, by the way, I just also think everyone in the US should have the same system.

If I can find some unpolluted sand far from the rising oceans I may consider emulating an ostrich, though I gather the "belief that ostriches bury their heads in the sand if pursued" is just a myth. Too bad ...

No comments: