Saturday, November 3, 2007

On posting from the wilderness ...

I've come back to 'civilization,' if one seriously thinks that groups of Homo sapiens who can be so easily led into monster-hood by the mentally impaired and the outright insane approach anything like civilization which by definition is comprised of advancement, progress, enlightenment, culture, refinement, and sophistication. What the US is going through at present must be more akin to anti- or reverse-civilization.

Really, the above paragraph was not where this post was headed when I took up that metaphorical pen. Having a partiality to technology, mostly in the form of computers and cameras (two areas that have beautifully merged in the recent years) I was amazed once again at the changes that have taken place in these field since the 60's which is when my working life began.

Each little mile post, such as posting from a campground, sends my thoughts back to my first Mac and that I had sitting on my desk (or table as really was the case) more power, memory and capabilities than some of computers that I programmed and/or operated by reading in stacks (and I do me stacks) of punched computer cards.

I often resist this trip down memory lane to the time of 1401's, IBM 7072's, 350's, 360's, Univacs, RadioShacks, Macs and Mac Plus' and even more names and numbers than I can recall as
  • I don't wish to be thought of as 'living in the past,' and
  • a state of ongoing amazement at the rate and extent of technological changes in this field must be politically incorrect, or something.

No comments: