Friday, August 17, 2007

From sea to shining sea ...

... one expansive and nosy police state where anyone with a reader will know where you are at all times down to when you last picnicked at a National Park.

Just think, until my government issued Medicare Card, I had managed to eliminate my SS# from all the junk I carry about my person and my car. NOW my government wants to perpetually broadcast my SS#, along with other ID theft gold about me, some 100 ft (100 yards?) in every direction at all times. A Corporate and Police State dream come true ...

And they will do that to save me from a terrorist? Yeah, that's it.
"This is not a mandate," Chertoff said. "A state doesn't have to do this, but if the state doesn't have -- at the end of the day, at the end of the deadline -- Real ID-compliant licenses then the state cannot expect that those licenses will be accepted for federal purposes."
And will that make me a non-citizen? A de facto illegal alien? If I had been born just 20 years earlier I might have missed this part of the downfall of my country.

Then again, perhaps I will be able to truthfully quote: "It was the best of times. It was the worst of times." But we haven't hit "worst" yet have we? In the way of things, at some point we will have to pay for what the US has done to Iraq and the Iraqis and somehow I don't think we are headed for a cathartic Nuremberg Trials.

No comments: