Sunday, April 8, 2007

Novelli's AARP censors left leaning posters ...

This post at the Senior Citizens Consortium Blog documents the problem with the increasing corporate control of message boards and other individual communications and posting mechanisms on the web. As these entitities merge there will be less and less freedom of expression and more thought control as with the established media.

Boycotting the AARP Issues and Elections forum

BuzzFlash entry that led me to the above post.

Note that the post explains that it is not AARP 'the non-profit entity' that is treating these individuals based their political viewpoints.
It should be clearly understood that the AARP itself does not operate the board, it has relegated that responsibility to its “for profit” subsidiary, AARP Services. This organization in turn has outsourced the operation of the AARP Forum to a company that has placed individuals who appear, to have a strong oriention against non-right wing posters.
It is AARP 'the for-profit' mindset that Arch-Republican Novelli brings to the AARP world that hands off the responsibilty, not to the AARP membership, but to some corporate organization. That's the Republican big-daddy approach that AARP embodies.

6 comments:

«—U®Anu§—» said...

While it may be clearly understood AARP doesn't do the censoring, AARP lets it go on in its name. AARP runs a TV commercial in this market where a little girl asks why social security can't be fixed. It can't be fixed because it isn't broken: the suggestion it is comes straight out of George Bush's mouth. I'd join AARP if I thought I could speak to the membership. I don't join because I know I'd be forever silenced.

Anonymous said...

I left the AARP when I lived in California because they endorsed School Vouchers (Which they had no business getting involved with) and the Medicare Prescription Drug plan... It's another example of the "What's the Matter with Kansas" syndrome... I'll never consider rejoining...

Gail said...

I left AARP when Novelli not only changed AARPs position on the prescription drug plan but actually advertised for its passage. But then AARP stood to make money off the plan.

I still remember reading the AARP monthly newsletter's (the Bulletin?) reasoned article explaining why AARP did not support the plan and then it seemed like the next day that Novelli announced his support for Plan Disaster ... good little Repug that he is.

Gail

Anonymous said...

As the son of one of those retired persons who was blackballed from posting on the AARP website just because he happens to have a Centrist leaning political belief system as opposed to a hard right, money-centered, anti-humanitarian agenda like the NeoCons, I want to say that I am absolutely DISGUSTED that the AARP would sell off it's own Moral Authority as a guardian of the rights of Seniors to the highest bidder. I would like to let them know that if they want to continue as a viable organization and continue their operation into another generation of supporters they had better shape up or I will personally spearhead a campaign to alert the members of my own generation about their corruption. Goodbye AARP and welcome a fair replacement. You can sign me as.
"A watchdog within your government"

Anonymous said...

I'm a soon to be ex-AARP member, it expires in June 07, who posted today (before 10am) on the board about a Boycott. Nothing but the time it would happen, nothing against the TOS or rules of service. The post (of course) was deleted within half an hour. No explanation. And what does that say for "Free Speech" when disgusting flames are left to grow and bought back by "hosts" when interest lags?

Anonymous said...

I too, have canceled my AARP membership.
Did I I reach this ripe old age, just to be ridiculed, mistreated, chastised in public, only because my political point of view is not that which is EXPECTED the subscribers, meaning the extreme right? Being a member used to mean something. I felt protected, just as I used to feel protected when I was a Union Member.
Now, AARP stands for EVERYTHING which is going wrong with our country: Greed, Arrogance, Disrespect for the Constitution (Freedom of SPEECH). Well, let them shoot themselves where it hurts the most: In the WALLET. I am done with them.